Monday, September 11, 2006

scale the canyons of the city to the heavens



That was how the "skyride" in the towers described the WTC; that they scaled the canyons of the city to the heavens.

and they did.

I took a test a few days ago and I commented to my teacher that while mnemonics works for somethings I wasn't sure that I was actually learning what she wanted us to.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ________________________

September 11th was beautiful; beyond gorgeous. Long Island is, hands down, the most beautiful place I have ever been.

Jordan was 6 and in kindergarten; he didn't want to go to school that day. Just as well.

Amy was working; she worked for a law firm on the back side of the towers; the buildings shared a back wall.

Andrew came home; he saw the smoke from the LIE. He was freaking out.

The Poland Springs man was clueless - he was just out doing his rounds. Probably listening to a CD or something; not radionews, for sure.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ________________________

I'm 25. More aware, more cynical, more scared and just a little bit betrayed. All those people-
Did you ever see the towers?
Do you have any idea how big they really were? It was like they weren't even real - they were so incredibly huge. Can you even begin to imagine? No, you can't. They were indescribable. Standing next to them was - it was like they weren't even there they were so big. Your mind could not grasp the enormity of them; and they fell.

down! Look at that. That's insane!

It would be like the Rockies being gone one day. Poof. What the ?? really?

Jordo's 11. I can not even imagine. I miss him every single day. I would love to see him and know that he is doing well.

Amy and Andrew moved to Florida; I think about them all the time. I hope that they are happy, that they found a place to be safe and have peace. I hope that Nana and Pop Pop still come over all the time for bagels 'n lox and harass them.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ________________________



Okay, and so, here we are five years ... (YEARS! Can you believe it? It feels like it was *maybe* two years ago. Maybe.) ...after 9/11 and what have we learned?

Here is what I feel like:



I don't care to hear about lists of names being read off;
what have we done to prevent names from being added to lists of victims of terrorism?

I don't care to see flags being flown when they otherwise aren't;
what have we done to make this nation stronger?

I don't care to see some families receive help because their father, mother, parents died;
what are we doing for ALL our children to teach and guide them?

I don't care to only look back on yesterday and hope for a better future -
what are we actually doing today?




So - there you go people. Be a hero and make a difference. We must learn something from this.

1 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I hate to hear is, "Enough already! I'm tired of seeing and hearing about this!" Let us NEVER be tired of seeing it and hearing about it and let us learn from it every day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home