Saturday, September 09, 2006

May I See Your ID, Please?


A good friend of mine (and her husband!) are celebrating their 40th Anniversary today. They are the Most Phenomenal people I know.

Congratulations and Yay!

And as I was thinking about it... 40 years. I really would have said she was 40 years old. Obviously, not the case.

As I look at the people in my life - as I get older - they maybe not "get younger" but, they don't age.


My best friend is 37 - 38 - 39 (I'm not for positive) and I would tell you in a heart beat that she was 28.

Even my mom. If you were to ask me how old she was I'd say, "Oh, 39."
I'm 25, so.. really? That's amazing! She's been 39 since for as long as I can remember.

This is an especially fun phenomenon to encounter while you're dating.

(Meghan and Joe at Croce's, having dinner.)

Joe: ... and that's the most important thing. But memory? I'm not sure.
Meg: Well, I remember sitting in front of the tv when the Berlin wall came down and willing
myself to remember because I thought I was too young and I would forget.
Joe: How old were you?
Meg: Eight.
Joe: (choking) what?
Meg: I was eight, why? (suspiciously)...How old were you?
Joe: Eighteen!


oh. I sure did think when he asked me out that he was only 23 or 24. oops.

But then I can't help but wonder where people place me on the age continuum; when I directly ask them I get anywhere from 19 (not happening, folks) to 30. Now, if you're just looking at me I can see where the confusion comes from, maybe - but that still seems a little extreme on both ends - a space of 11 years? Come on!

I went out with a friend of mine who just turned 21 a few weeks ago. We got up to the door and bouncer asked to see her ID and as I was reaching into my pocket to grab mine he says, and I quote, "Oh, it's okay ma'am, you're good." Excuse me?

I took one of those "How old are you quizzes," that asked irrelevant questions like, "It's Friday night..what do you do?" and because I didn't pick the
( ) play with my kids or
( ) go bar hopping
.... because I don't drink AND have no money for the cover, because I would dance!...
I ended up picking
( ) curl up at home with a good book.

My cyber age is 29.

I just wonder what happens when I actually am 29 - does my cyber-age go up to 32?

So? The question on the table is -- How old are you really?
I would have to go with 22.
(Even though someone asked me one time and I randomly said 17. I wish!)


.

3 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meghan! You are a scream! I love to read your blog! And I KNOW I'm the 30-something best friend of yours, aren't I? :)

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger meg said...

duh. Freak!

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless your little heart! :) Love you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home