Monday, August 07, 2006

Dear Beloved,


So, I was talking today with a friend of mine who made the comment that they liked someone who lived out of state; and, woe! what to do?

And I thought about this - from school, home and as I was drifting off (I took a nap. yum!). Suddenly! Inspiration struck! Write a letter. Not an email, not a txtmssg - but an honest-to-goodness letter.

Why?

To begin with it's always nice to get something in the mail. Always. (Unless it's from a stalker.)

Then, you have the choice whether or not to admit that you received it. This can prevent ill-will and odd moments of discomfort.

"A letter? No, not recently. Sorry." as opposed to "An email? no, not recently." and you're left thinking, "Liar!!" When really, they were just trying to protect your feelings.

AND!
this is my favorite part
IF you keep a letter and write back, then they write you again, etc. and you DO start seeing each other -- suddenly you have Love Letters! Amazing how that works, no?

You might be thinking, "Are you on crack? You can't just write to someone randomly!" But I propose that you can, indeed, write to someone. Now, it can't be some unknown person you just pull up on myspace.com ( how would you mail a stranger a letter?!) BUT if it's someone you've known in the past, or are just friends with -- listen:

(* names have been changed!)

Ben* ~
I was looking through some of my mementos from New York last night when I found this fantastic little card that you sent me! I remembered that we had met in Penn Station as you were leaving for Germany; but wasn't able to connect with you after that.
How are you? How are things going? ...?

Write soon!
Meghan

(NOW! this is important! include an email that they may write back quickly but ALWAYS send snail mail, too. I use a wax sealer, also, it's fun to play with fire.)

See? That was simple! Say hello! Tell them what brought them to mind; I'd recommend NOT saying, "You were hot and I wanted to know if you were still single." Establish a foundation - memories, similar goals, etc. THEN inquire as to how they are, blah blah blah. Give them a reason to write back.

(I sincerely hope you noticed that this is Exactly Like having a Conversation on a Date. You just have to wait for a response, thus heightening the anticipation. Sweeeeeeeet.)

You can have very wonderful relationships with people out of town. You just have to work at it.


AND BY THE WAY! This works for people in various stages of any kind of relationship, too. If you have a co-worker, spouse, dog sitter who you REALLY appreciate or is just generally super fantastic writing an actual note saying, "Hey, you're great," or "thanks," or "I love you to eternity and back*" (* not for the co-worker) is So Freaking Phenomenal. Try it. It works. I promise.



(write to me and tell me how it goes.)

5 Comments:

At 11:37 PM, Blogger Parton Words said...

Really good idea. I think I'll do that today

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger anonymous jones said...

Hi! I can just imagine the typical guy's reaction. Good luck, though!

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger meg said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger meg said...

Parton - thank you, Sir.

Jones - oh ~ the cynicism! (laughs) It does depend on the guy, but it can work wonderfully, too.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have a blog now!!! My blog will not be anywhere as exciting as yours...but I have one!

I think snail mail is awesome. I miss getting snail mail...email is quicker...but do you know how easy it is to type up something on the computer??? Writing a letter means serious business!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home