Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Chain of command; Guarantee of fair treatment



I have been so blessed in my life to work for some really, truly phenomenal people.

From my very first jobs as a babysitter working for families that more that adequately paid me to my current job at Marriott. The general rule of thumb from the playground on up was, "treat others as you would like to be treated." It seems like a great idea, no?

Well, there comes a day when (rather abruptly, I might add) you realize that the world does NOT play by the same rules.

(( BY THE WAY, ANYONE can make COMMENTS on my bloggernacle now! ))

I feel bad for people who either 1) haven't realized this and are in a position to,* 2) are in the process of realizing it or 3) just finished reeling from the backlash of feeling it. To those who live in a sweet, kind gentle world I encourage to stay in the coma. It's safe there.

(* you know who you are!)


I realized this sitting across the desk from a woman I had for almost 3 months considered the spawn of Satan - but had diligently slaved under. It was liberating to see her, months later, suffering the backlash from poor treatment of her underlings.

Earlier I was talking to a friend who is on the brink of the same situation and I want to share with you what I shared with him:

"There is no finish line when you work for people who do not appreciate you. The harder you work the higher the bar is raised, thus making it impossible to reach; therefore you "aren't accomplishing the goals set," and quite possibly, "aren't a team player," and you get fired."

It's terrible; I've seen the most incredible people fired for rumors, for lies and for out and out scheming by underhanded scoundrels. It's insane.

There was a time when I gave into and believe in the "Chain of Command" theory. I worked for a rather fantastic place (and by fantastic I mean it was recently and involved, um, study). The Chain of command bit me in the rear, then had the nerve (audacity?) to come around and smile at me. Really? Other than ROTC, excuse me, JROTC; I have YET to see the Chain of Command kick in when it's supposed to.

Marriott has a PHENOMENAL plan called their "guarantee of fair treatment," which actually (and I've seen it!) work. It's amazing; part of the structure though is the idea that we are all in this to make it easier for everyone. No one "wins," or "loses," when in a situation. It was very well organized and planned out.

So - I'd like to send a profound and grateful thank you to those who work hard, show their appreciation to there peers and their underlings as well as work for the good of the team, not themselves alone.

My dad tells me I'm naive, I prefer hopeful. I was told earlier that I "see the cup as half empty," and I hope that I am more of a "realist with a shot of romance" than a "straight up pessimist (on the rocks)."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home