Tuesday, January 09, 2007

when in Rome...

Today we started our introduction to language class and I am excited because we are going to be studying the evolution of language, of sign language and the history of language in general.

To me, this is fascinating and I can't wait to start.

So, we're sitting in class ~ side note, I feel bad for some of these kids because they've never had a Flagg class before ! ~ and she is explaining
Onomatopoeic words.

Okay. So - sound words. And we are talking about how kids will refer to cows as "moo" because that's the sound they make. She then asked us what sound roosters make
(Ha! I know you just went cock-a-doodle-do to yourself!) and said, "Well, in Russia people say .... instead of cock-a-doodle-do."

One of the freaking girls in my class said, "Animals sound diffrent in different countries?"

I was relating this story to my mom and she was like, "Yeah, in France cows say 'le moo'." hehehe



We are reading this book, "Language, Cognition and the Brain." It is an honest to God college level text book with words like "nontemporal," "anaphoric," and "visuospatial." She (and this is NOT a complaint - just a recitation of the day!) put us into reading groups so we can successfully comprehend the book.


WHAT the HELL?

I am excited, though, because one of the new guys is Intelligent! I am shocked. He asked today why some languages were more tonal while others were more phonetic and I thought - wow!! I laughed because I was impressed with the question and none of the other girls were like, "What?" but when I commented that heiroglyphics were more iconoclastic while the Roman alphabet was arbitrary they all went "huh?" ?? How did they understand his question and not mine?

Later Flagg was explaining Latin and how their words can go in any order because the language used prefixes to assign meaning and I was intrigued that even proper nouns received that attention and I commented on it like this: "Wow, so even pronouns - the Names! - were changed!" She agreed with me, a few people chuckled and "those girls" blinked at me a few times before understanding dawned. How did they get into this class?

Oh well, they are nice and they work hard.




Cool was explaining today "UPR" universal something respect --- and while I did agree with her about how we should treat others I concluded the day thinking no -- some are family and those that aren't, aren't and that's that. phooey.


OH, speaking of! That crackhead girl that dropped last semester because she didn't like BW (WHAT?!?!?!?!?) I saw her in intro to ASL and I thought... man, if you're not nice to Cool I'll kick your butt. he he he, one of my friends is in there... I can't wait to hear how she's doing.


I'm SO jealous because everyone else gets to be in Deaf Culture and I'm not. :- p -- It's not so much that I want to take the class again but I want to be involved in the discussions... they freaking rock.

I've got to go, I'm procrastinating my homework --






2 Comments:

At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I practically spewed DP all over the keyboard with your news story! Cracked me up! (Pardon the pun) Anyway, about the rest of the entry.... Huh? LOL!

 
At 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and tell me that freaking cow isn't saying "La moo" as she prances through the pasture!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home