Friday, January 05, 2007

Dodge Street

A friend of mine one time grimaced when mentioning Dodge Street. I laughed at him.

I love Dodge Street! If I could write odes, I would write on in honor of Dodge Street.

Omaha is cut in half, north/south and smack in the middle is Dodge (unless you count Bellevue - then Dodge is actually like 1/3 of the way down). Dodge Street is good therapy, cheaper than a psychologist and open twenty-four seven.

I used to live further west than I do now, and at one time I lived in Council Bluffs so I would start on the far east end of Dodge. So far east it was actually Douglas ... hm.

When I need to get out and think I buckle up and head east; starting on 72nd and Dodge. I love it, sometimes I go through Starbucks and get an apple cider to keep me going. I pass UNO, which has this fantastic new library I must go check out... perhaps take a nap in.




I pass Memorial Park. Tonight, this morning? about 1 am there were people in ball gown standing on the overpass crossing Dodge. I love Omaha. I honked.

My godmother's restaraunt is up on 50th as are apartments that I would Love to live in... and then Saddlecreek which is one the most random crankified streets in the city running northwest (or, southeast, I guess. Depends on where you're headed). I used to live of California so I'd have to get off Dodge and wrap around that bank or cut through the BK parking lot to get to my house. Bizarre.

I love 42nd street. I love that there is a sign that says, "Turn right to go left," I want to steal it and hang it up ... maybe in a hallway? The med center is freaking awesome; and they finally tore down that crack-whore motel.

The best parts of Dodge are the hills and curves; coming down from 42nd you not only have a sweet curve, but it's downhill, too! I'm excited that mutual of omaha is turning that area into a park. It will be a really nice addition to the area (not to mention that I'm looking at an apartment there abouts... whoo hoo).

Dodge gets funky as it gets downtown. My family used to go to Kountze Memorial and that's there are you head east, next to channel 7. It was about 2:30 when I passed it and I never realized they turned off their scrolling message board thing (what are they called?) at night. Hm. You'd think they'd keep the time and temp up at least.

I usually turn around about 20th - I love to drive up past the Children's Museum. They are re-doing the outside and it looks fantastic.

tonight I confess I hit I-80 to the WOE (West Omaha Expressway, haha) and came back around. I get slightly a little bit motion sick and coming east as the WOE drops is NOT always a pleasant experience. I will say, though, that when we had our first frost/ice/snow thing I really thought that people would die because... hello! You know they FLY on that stupid thing and what would happen if there was an accident up there? How would medical vehicles get up there?

BUT it was awesome to see the skyline of the city and drive down to meet Old Mill Road (ish)...I am so excited that there is a Cheesecake Factory here now - YUM! It's weird that I live so close to Westroads, my 'rents are 2 minutes from Crossroads but I would chose MotB over both.

I hated driving home on Dodge when I worked at Marriott because some random company has a sign that tells what the Dow averages were and forever they were just DOWN DOWN DOWN and who wants to see that?

This new tree that the Salvation Army put up at the Bank on 90th is .... big. and bright. and not a real tree. When I first saw it I thought that they would light up the percent of money that they had made to their goal but, no.

That's a great part of Dodge, right there - from 90th to 72nd. Lots of stuff happening - like the Village Inn that you can't really get to because of the Firestation and the new Blicks -- there is a Buffalo Wild Wings right there, too. I heard that you can learn to Salsa at Arthur's every Thursday night -- fun!

Then you're back to 72nd. (( Depending on how much I needed to think on it's entirely possible I'd head south, hit i-80 then cruise around the Circle -- i-80 to i-29 to 680 and around and around and I'm really glad there aren't cruising laws on the interstates. )) AND talk about a nasty, mean street - ugh. I loathe 72nd, AND they want to add a freaking wal-mart? WHAT?

The only crazy thing about Dodge Street is the malls - Village Pointe (e!), Westroads, and Crossroads - but even those aren't too bad provided you don't get stuck behind a bus!

2 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it any wonder you never have any gas?! And why don't you ever call me when you're cruising so I can go with you...wait, didn't you say it was like one in the morning? Never mind. I was sleeping...actually waking from sofa and going to sleep in bed. ha Anyway...tonight I work until 2 a.m. If you're cruising...call me!!! The twins are at their dad's all weekend and Dan is out of town. Ho Hum.

Love,
Aunt Mo

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger meg said...

man, I was tempted but I you would have killed me for coming out at one. hehehe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home