Thursday, January 25, 2007

Questions for the Deaf community

To: Members of the Deaf Community
From: A curious, nieve, slightly stupid future interpreter

So, I was reading tonight and I had some questions. Mostly their answers will include information beyond the scope of my knowledge, which is why I don't understand, but I feel compelled to ask.


How is language skill assessed when a Deaf child enters school (Residential or mainstreamed)? Who sets the standards for what is acceptable and what is not?
If a child is below standard, how is that addressed? Is ASL taught alongside English for Deaf children of hearing adults? (Clearly, not if they are mainstreamed. Why not?)

** One of the things the ITP program has taught me is "" Don't ask 'why' ask 'how,' "" and usually that sustains me but ... REALLY? **

South Dakota School for the Deaf seems to be very strong. Is this because SD has adopted a Deaf child's Bill of Rights? (And implemented it?) How are they doing at working with "just" Deaf children and Deaf children with handicaps?

** I am especially interested in Residential schools because NE had one that was closed. **

In regards to mainstreaming children AND CODAs public education. There is SO much that happens outside the classroom proper, how could an interpreter possibly ensure communication for all situations? For the Deaf child: from the school day proper, open house, programs, after school events where they may be present, how is there any consistency? And if the parents of that child are Deaf? Throw in parent teachers conferences, PTA meetings, school board meetings, Come ON! yeah, AN interpreter may be to all of those functions but is the level of communication truly what hearing parents would consider acceptable ? (Chances are good... no.) AND I was thinking -- Say, you've got a CODA (okay) and you run into their math teacher at the store. Are you really going to bust out a pen and paper to discuss his last algebra test? SURE as a parent you would -- but what about that math teacher? Are they really going to be as engaged? I would *hope* so, but ... yeah.


Can you recommend any of these books?

Seeing Voices
They Grow in Silence
The Deaf School Child
Raising and Educating a Deaf Child

They mentioned "critical mass" in this book, too, in regards to children attending school with other children that they could communicate with. I know that awhile back ISD used to allow siblings of the Deaf students to attend, also. WOW! How amazing is that? AND you have a whole generation of students who are part of this supportive, caring community. WHY would you not want that?

I understand that I have now been watching and interacting (just a little) bit the Community in my area but... why not send your kids to the same school? And if one of them is Deaf -- why not? I think, too, that it would encourage students to challenge each other to excell, rather then mainstreaming Deaf students to a place where they are if not intentionally then at least inadvertantly outcast.

I went to high school with J and he was the COOLEST kid I had never met. I was too chicken, and he was Deaf, what was I going to say/do/act/ communicate? So, I took notes instead and I have regreted not starting a friendship with him then ever since. Luckily, I'll get another chance. ( That was really random, I just wanted to throw it out there. )

4 Comments:

At 5:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post, good questions. Naive though, not nieve. How different though is sending a hearing child to a deaf school than sending a deaf child to a hearing school where an interpreter is provided? Doesn't that put the hearing child at a disadvange?

 
At 5:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack... That's disadvantage... Up too late.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger meg said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger meg said...

Well, first of all, children learn languages better than adults, so if a hearing child is in a Residential school where total communication is used they are ALSO hearing the information while learning and using ASL.... or whichever system the schoo chooses to use.

That child is still able to communicate with his peers outside of class time without the need of an interpreter.

IF you put a d/Deaf child into a classroom where they are using an interpreter that child is locked into communicating with, essentially, only one person all day, every day.

They are more isolated and they are not able to grow (at the same rate) socially and peer relationships suffer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home